Here soon, if you’re in the snow removal business, you’ll find yourself out on customers’ properties at 1 am with fresh snow covering the ground and possibly blowing in your face. The days of spreading fertilizer and chemicals behind you. But before this happens, you will want to tackle a few maintenance tasks on your Steel Green machine and SG Snowplow. Do these tasks before winter comes if you are planning to plow snow with your Steel Green.
- Clean the machine really well.
- Lubricate all cables and throttle linkages on the carburetor.
- Clean out the tanks and winterize the spray system (use antifreeze for weight in tanks as needed). For more guidance on winterizing your spray system, check out this video.
- Add a fuel stabilizer to the gas.
- If operating in extremely cold climates, make sure to use an appropriate weight oil in the engine and hydraulic system.
- Grease the machine.
- Install snow tires and the rest of the plow kit.
- Inspect rubber edge for wear or damage and replace if needed.
Besides wear on the rubber cutting edge, the plow kit is maintenance-free. Since snow removal is such a demanding job, consider purchasing our “no downtime kit” with common parts to keep your machine up and running.